An outdoor deck extends the living space of a house. It is ideal for entertaining, dining, or as a surround for a pool or spa. Make sure to plan carefully before you start building your deck. A haphazardly planned deck may be unattractive, non-functional and unsafe for family members.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you build your deck:
- Budget – It takes money to build. Set aside a budget for your project before you start planning your dream deck. The budget will help steer your building decisions.
- Materials – Traditionally, a deck is made of wood, but there are other materials that can be used in deck construction. You can use different types of wood, such as pressure-treated, hardwood, or weather-resistant wood. You can also use composite materials and other alternatives such as plastic and aluminum.
- Design, size and shape – The size of the deck should be governed by its location and your budget. Its shape will be dictated by your home’s design or by the available space.
- Deck structures – Depending on the size, height, and location of your deck, additional structures may be needed such as railings and a roof. You may also need to build a privacy screen if your deck is visible to the neighbors.
- Invest in fasteners – Decks often get rickety because of the poor quality of the fasteners. Low-quality fasteners will corrode over time and shorten the lifespan of your deck.
- Permits and other legal requirements – The local government must issue the necessary permits for your deck construction. The construction must comply with building codes in the area.
For more advice on deck construction, consult your local contractor for home remodeling in Seattle. Though some people may choose to build on their own, remodeling contractors in Seattle are often the best way to go for a beautiful and durable deck.