When the season starts to change from spring to fall, and then back again, cleaning, home improvements, yard work and chores are waiting for attention. Sometimes we get caught up in the hustle and bustle and overlook basic safety measures. The American Academy of Ophthalmology suggests that roughly 50% of all eye injuries happen at home, but only 35 percent of Americans wear safety eye glasses.
At Interior Remodel Specialists, we recognize the importance of eye safety in our line of work. You can never be too safe. It doesn’t matter if we are repairing a kitchen, replacing a floor, or doing clean up after a job; safety glasses should be on. In recognition of Eye Safety Injury Prevention Month, let’s review some basic tips to stay safe while tidying up the home. Here are some tasks at home that most people don’t wear safety glasses during, but should.
Nails, screws, and powered or pressured hand tools can push wood chips or shrapnel into the air.
Chemicals like bleach or other household cleaning items cause 125,000 eye injuries every year.
Garden tools, trimmers, dust or dirt in the air, branches, twigs, and thorns can be damaging.
Many of us don’t consider eye protection for home improvements until an accident has occurred. It is better to wear goggles or safety glasses than to risk a lifetime of vision trouble. Wearing protective eye gear reduces your chances of eye accidents to 90 percent.
- Wear goggles or other protective eyewear when working with home improvement chemicals or items.
- Do not mix any cleaning solutions.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, directions, and warning labels.
- Use proper lighting when working
- Keep pesticides, paints, fertilizers, and other dangerous chemicals stored and locked up or out of reach of children.
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from flying particles and pesticides.
- Keep your tools maintained and repaired as needed to avoid mishaps.
Interior Remodel Specialists wants to recognize the importance of Eye Injury Prevention Month. Let’s all wear eye protection and be an example to those around us. Let’s be accident-free and safe.